Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 4, 2013

So I've been on the go since noon on Sunday, June 2nd. Tons of traffic on the way to JFK, I ended up getting there an hour after the meeting time. Whoops. Though it wasn't bad because the leaders of the group built in a big cushion for things like that. Blah blah blah, boarded a flight to Vienna and was stuck in a middle seat between an Austrian mother and her son. Not only did they talk to each other every now and then, but they both managed to spill into my tiny little seat. I have never been so uncomfortable on a flight before. I managed to sleep maybe two hours of the seven. Yuck. Our flight from Vienna to Tel Aviv was delayed about three hours, which was a little annoying. Luckily, this time I had a window seat and slept literally the entire four hour flight.

Once we got out of the Tel Aviv airport, I exchanged some money and then we had to drive yet another two hours to our hotel in Tiberius. I went to sleep immediately (midnight) but some people in our 40 person group stayed up drinking until 4:30. Pretty stupid, if you ask me. So this morning we were up at 6:30 (not enough sleep!), had a breakfast at 7, a little chat with the director of Yael Adventures, and were on the bus by 8. We went hiking for maybe two hours and it was super beautiful. I forget the name but I'll be back with it later...if I remember to do so. I brought my hoop in case of an awesome photo op on a mountain, but I might save that for later (especially the sunrise hike!).

Next we went to Tzfat and got lunch and shopped around. I bought a really beautiful (c)hamsa necklace, which is the only thing I will be purchasing in Israel that is not a meal. We went into two temples, but honestly it just reminded me of going into so many different wats in SE Asia. Starts to get tiresome... We went to a place called Ascent where we did an activity with biblical text and relating it to modern day issues. We then returned to the hotel, where I was able to shower, take a small nap, then eat dinner! We had a discussion about different aspects of Judaism and how we rank their importance in our personal and collective Jewish lives.

Now I'm desperately trying to go to sleep! It's nearly 11 pm and I'm once again waking up at 6:30. Tomorrow we have another hike and will be kayaking in the Jordan River! Hopefully I'll start posting pictures tomorrow, as it gets a little intimidating when they all accumulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment