Friday, August 6, 2010

Monday August 2, 2010

From my handwritten journal


Monk For a Month - Day 1


I arrived at the temple around 1:30 after taking a mini van from Chiang Mai to Fang. There are three others doing the program here with me: Sam, 22, from Australia, Max, 26, from Brazil, and Mike, 48, from Scotland (but now living in Bangkok.) Mike isn't staying at the temple tonight, but the three of us have been getting along great! We've been hanging out and just talking a lot. Today we went to a temple-turned-school, the grand opening! I got some pretty neat photos of the monks and children. The school was a project by The Blood Foundation. Becky, 17, from Switzerland came with us. She's volunteering and teaching English and what not, not part of the MFAM program. The four of us rode in the back of a pickup truck. Ahh! At the school was also a Dutch family of five. They were really neat to talk to. I think we'll be seeing them again tomorrow.

So I think my stay here will be really interesting. Tomorrow is Buddha Day so there will be some special things going on. We're actually headed to another school in the morning after our 8:30 breakfast. I'm really excited to start the actual lessons. I like how Buddhism encompasses philosophy. Okay, so my room. There are two very thin mattresses on a wooden plank. There's a little shelf thing and a desk with a fan. I'm thankful for my mosquito net and bug repellent coil thing. Also, the window shut completely so it'll stay dark in the morning! Oh, I have my own bathroom. Or should I say--non-flushable (well, manual) toilet, buckets, scoop, and faucet. Tomorrow morning will be my first cold bucket shower. I don't like the lack of sink...I need to get more hand sanitizer to make hand washing easier.

Right now I think the biggest issue for me is whether or not I want to take the 8 Precepts. I really want to...when will I ever again get this opportunity/experience? But dong so would mean taking out my nose ring and tunnels. I asked Graham (the guest coordinator here at the temple) if I could put them back in when I'm in my room alone...but he advised against it, although ultimately it's my choice. Honestly, I'll probably end up doing that. It's not decoration if no one is seeing it...not even me (no mirror!) Maybe I'll leave them in during the night but only poke during the day. Ugh, what a stupid conflict. Man, I hope this book has enough room for everything!

Ooh, there are doggies all around the temple. Only one has a sort of name--Chicken Killer, or "C.K." She's known to kill chickens, whoops. I like how she follows me around and is always wagging her tail. What a cutie!!
Okay it's about 11 pm now and I'm tired! I've got plenty of time later to write in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment