Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 9, 2010

From my handwritten journal


~10:25 pm


Today was pretty great. Mike, Sam, and I went to up to the Daylight School with Fred. We brought them some little cakey things and bagged snacks. The school is for children of Shan migrant workers. Refugees from Burma. These people have no papers so according to Thailand they don't even really exist. Shan people have their own language so learning Thai is extremely beneficial towards their success here in Thailand. It's so amazing that they have this opportunity thanks to The Blood Foundation. The children learn four subjects: Shan language and culture, Thai, English, and mathematics. We got there just as both the older and younger kids were eating their lunches. Perfect timing! We got to hang around and play soccer with the kids. I took some adorable photos of the kids brushing their teeth and just being super cute in general. Fred was telling us that before they eat they say a kind of grace that says something like "we're so lucky to have this food and I feel badly for those who have nothing to eat." These kids are practically in the bread line themselves yet they still think that way. If only Westerners could be so grateful.
Man, I really loved being there. I really want to get involved in something like that. Even when I'm in school back in Princeton I can totally go through with volunteering at the Cherry Tree Club--a preschool for local homeless children--which is a mere five minutes from my house. I've volunteered there before and it's wonderful. I had planned on volunteering once a week during the school year but now it feels as if I have to do it. Ideally, I'd love to set something up like that myself. There are so many things I can do right in my own area. Of course I'd love to come back to Thailand and other regions of the world, but for now, Cherry Tree is perfect.

We came back to the temple and met the newest addition, Eliano. He's originally from Italy but he's been living in Tokyo for the last 36 years. [Man the dogs are going nuts right now...I wonder why..I hope everything is okay!] Anyway, we hung around and talked, went to evening chanting, then had a chat outside (with Ben, too!) Funny story, Ben and I were born in the same hospital! Also, his birthday is the day before mine. A few years, too, but that's besides the point! So later on it was just me, SAm and Ben. [Oh my goshhh there's a huge commotion and squealing/barking. I wish I could do something!!! I feel horrible. I hope every doggy is okay, especially the new puppies and CK :[ :[ :[ They're so tiny. Okay upon looking out of my window all I can see are the dogs barking at two women in the Sala...but that doesn't explain the squealing and sad noises..still alarming. Okay it's dying down. Sucks for the people trying to sleep.]
OKAY ANYWAY. The talk with Ben was really good. We kind of expressed our opinions about Fred's one-sided teaching and he actually had very similar views. He was saying that the important part of religion is what it does to improve the world. We also talked about the program and our expectations and what we think we'll ultimately get out of it. Both he and Sam recommended a book for me so I'm going to probably start it now. It's A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and apparently it's Oprah approved. Wonderful. It's not Buddhist but that's all I really know about it. We'll see! Hopefully it gives me some insight. I'm hungry so hopefully sleeping will fix that. I'll wake up and be able to eat! (After waking up the initial four times, that is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment