Friday, August 6, 2010

Thursday August 5, 2010

From my handwritten journal


Today was pretty standard. Breakfast around 8:30 with Max, fed my banana to the monkeys, then had a Dhamma lesson followed by lunch. I read more of Introducing Buddha and took a little nap. Sam and I hung out and played some cards (whoops!) We had two mini chats with Fred this evening. I went to evening chanting once again. It's getting easier to follow along but there are still parts that are either impossible/confusing transitions or just not in the packet at all. Oh well. I'm all set for my 8 Precepts ceremony on Saturday at 8:30 am. I'm excited! It will be extremely difficult to keep from singing, dancing, listening to music, and generally entertaining myself. Byebye Facebook and Google Reader. I'll probably continue to share pictures via Facebook but that's it. I'm going to try to be really strict with myself with the precepts. After all, that's why I'm here. I hope I can look back on these days and say "remember how hard it was? Yes, but I was self-disciplined and pushed through it" (which is very much how I look back on my DCI experience.) Plus, in the grand scheme of my life, eight days is a speck of sand. I can do this. I'm really not concerned with not eating after noon...I hardly eat anything here anyway. Plus I can have liquids (including ice pops!) as long as it isn't chewed. Cow's milk is considered food so that'll be left out of tea, however, soy milk is fair game.

Okay so...the more Fred talks about the 31 Planes of Existence and rebirth and karma and other Buddhist beliefs..the more discouraged I get. As I said, I'm here to gain knowledge about Buddhism, which I'm certainly doing. I also don't doubt that meditation, mindfulness, and the five precepts are great things that I can apply to my life back home (although I already try hard to keep the five.) I don't doubt that crazy things are possible once you get so lost (in tune with?) in your mind through meditation..I'm just skeptical that these things aren't completely personal and internal, rather than perceivable to the general population..and I guess therefore "true." I'm talking about those who reach certain "statuses" and gain special powers. I'm definitely incredibly impressed and respectful of people who know their minds so well...but if I don't see it or experience it for myself, I'm not a believer. I really have no reason to think that these things are true. Think of all the religions and culture that are so certain of their beliefs..it would be impossible for all of them to be true, most of them completely contradict each other. Either way, I'm really glad that I'm getting the opportunity to learn and see what the world has to offer.

In other news, I switched rooms with Sam, so now he and Mike are in the red kuti and I'm in a dorm-style room next to Max. there are two shared bathrooms, each with a (still cold) shower head and sink! Hooray! There are also screened windows so I can keep them open. I have a really great view of the Sala, which is really close by. I'm also excited to be a mere 10 steps or so from the common area where we all hang out/eat/have our lessons. Much more convenient! The kuti isn't far but it's still more annoying than just walking here. On Monday there are two more Monk for a Month people coming to the temple: a guy from Italy and a girl from Singapore. I might need to share a room with the girl. Of course it'd be better if I didn't, since my sleeping is really screwed up..plus I'm afraid she'll be loud in the mornings or something. There's nothing I hate more than people who don't try to be quiet and respectful to those sleeping. Seriously. But if that is the case, I can always do my nightly reading/writing in the common area. I hope my frequent blowing of the nose isn't too disturbing.. Graham didn't tell us the ages of the new people but hopefully we'll be able to relate! Regardless, I usually don't have a problem. I mean, Mike is 48 and we enjoy having him around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment